Castrol Raceway’s On-Track Experience
We are please to partner with Castrol Raceway to provide an On-Track Experience for those who have never experienced being on a road course at speed. This is a great opportunity to get your own car on the racetrack, or to give someone you know the gift of driving their car on a race track at speed.
How does it work?
Up to three drivers, driving their own cars, will go out on track behind the Southside Mitsubishi pace vehicle. The pace car will do one lap to let drivers see where the corners are, and to warm up tires. Then the Southside Mitsubishi pace vehicle will increase speed for three more laps. Drivers will keep a close formation behind the Southside Mitsubishi pace vehicle, doing exactly what the Southside Mitsubishi pace vehicle does. For example, if the Southside Mitsubishi pace vehicle moves to the left side of the track approaching a corner, so too do all drivers following the pace car. The Southside Mitsubishi pace vehicle will set a pace that allows for a tight formation. Drivers need only drive as fast as they are comfortable, and the Southside Mitsubishi pace vehicle will slow if any driver gets off line or falls back from the formation. After three laps at speed, the Southside Mitsubishi pace vehicle will slow for one additional lap to cool down your brakes, and then the entire formation will exit the track behind the Southside Mitsubishi pace vehicle.
This takes approximately 8-10 minutes, depending on the cars and experience level of drivers. Drivers may line up after their session to repeat the on-track experience as many times as the evening permits. Drivers may also line up such that they follow or lead a friend or another driver with a similar car — always behind the Southside Mitsubishi pace vehicle — but allowing for quicker drivers to go out together and at a quicker pace.
When is it and how much does it cost?
Price for the evening is $99 including GST. Helmets will be available for rent for an additional $10. Number of times on track will depend on how many participants there are on any particular evening.
Dates for 2015 are May 18, May 27, June 10, June 24, and July 8 (all are Wednesday evenings). Registration and tech will start at 4:00, track is hot from 5:00 PM until 9:00 PM.
NO NEED TO PRE-REGISTER. Just show up, pay your money, and get in line. However, if you have enough lead time to allow for mailing out tickets, tickets can be pre-purchased and gifted through Castrol Raceway’s ticketing website at http://castrolraceway.tix.com/Schedule.asp?OrganizationNumber=381.
How does On-Track Experience compare to Open Lapping?
At Castrol Raceway On-Track Experience events, driving pace is regulated by the Southside Mitsubishi pace car, the driving line is prescribed by the pace car, sessions are about 8-10 minutes in length, and the number of sessions per event is determined by overall participation on any given night.
At Track Junkies Open Lapping events, you set the driving pace at whatever level you are comfortable driving, instruction is available so that you can determine your own line, sessions are 20 minutes in length, and sessions are scheduled so that participants get over two (2) hours of seat time, and even have the option of running against the clock and competing with other drivers (see here for event dates & rates).
Comparing the two, Castrol On-Track Experience as a lower-cost, entry-level opportunity to experience the track … just enough to get you hooked.
Who can participate and what are the requirements?
- Drivers must wear helmets and seat belts while on track. DOT and Snell approved motorcycle helmets dated 2000 or later are acceptable. Castrol Raceway will rent you a helmet for an additional $10 if you don’t have one.
- All vehicles will be subject to a technical inspection performed at the track. This inspection is less rigorous than the Track Junkies Self Tech inspection that is required for our regular open lapping events, due to the expectation cars will not build as much heat in 3 laps behind a pace car as they would if a self-paced 20+ minute track session. However, we cannot let cars on track that might be unsafe in any way, including specifically that we will be checking for the following items: worn or cracked tires, malfunctioning or missing seat belts, old brake fluid, loose objects in the car, obscured visibility, and fuel or oil or coolant leaks. We reserve the right to deny participation and refund your money if we think your car is unsafe in any way.
- Passengers are not permitted. It is expected participants in these events will not be experienced road course drivers, and therefore we cannot allow passengers to be put at risk.
- Trucks, vans and SUVs are NOT suitable for this activity.
- We will permit convertibles provided they have rollover protection. It is highly unlikely a rollover will occur, but if it did … well, you need to be safe. Plus our insurance company requires rollover protection in convertibles.
- Events go rain or shine. However, standing water and/or heavy rain and spray that affect visibility of drivers following the pace car may dictate a delay or cancellation. Participants who are unable to go on track due to weather will be provided a rain check.